It’s such an exciting time of year! The holidays are here and for the Cain family that means traveling in the car for almost 12 hours (ONE WAY) to visit my family in Texas!
I’ve just finished the 21 Day Fix and I want to stay on track. My next round starts when we get home and the last thing I want to do is lose all the progress I’ve made. Here are my tips for staying on track during road trips!
First off just know that it’s honestly all about making healthy choices and watching your portions. What you need for packing – A cooler for your backseat and ziplock bags.
Follow these tips:
- Bottled water! You must stay hydrated. I know that means for rest area breaks, but there is nothing worse than feeling bloated from dehydration. I usually bring an entirely separate cooler just for water bottles.
- Bring along fruit! There are plenty of options that you don’t have to put into your cooler like apples, bananas, and pears. If your cooler is large enough you can make small portions of berries. I love bringing grapes along!
- Individual vegetable packages are a must! I generally focus on baby carrots in zip lock bags. Other options are cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, snap peas, celery or baby tomatoes.
- Other snack ideas depending on your cooler size or if you have space for room temperature items – honey nut cheerios, nuts, peanut butter (perfect with some of your fruits and veggies), greek yogurt, KIND healthy grain bars
- If you are stopping at a fast food restaurant on the way so that you can stay on the road just try and be wise about what you pick. Grilled chicken wraps are generally a good idea.
- Bring your Shakeology! Come on 70+ superfoods in the chocolatey goodness (my fav) is the perfect meal on the go.
If you have more tips that you use for a road trip comment and let me know!
EXTRA holiday tip – Eat your veggies FIRST to fill you up and then go for your proteins and carbs. Do let yourself have some of the things you love. Just small portions.